There are various types of headaches. Understanding your condition involves knowing the type of headaches you suffer from. Several types of headaches are far more common than the rest. Here are a few variations you should know about.
- Tension Headache – This is the most frequently experienced headache. Tension builds into what feels like a constant band of pressure around the head.
- Migraine Headaches – While migraines are actually a neurological condition with many other symptoms, a severe headache is the most commonly known and experienced symptom. Other symptoms may include nausea and vomiting or sensitivity to light and sound.
- Cluster Headache – Fortunately, this is an extremely rare type of a headache. It presents with extreme pain that is one-sided. Women are more likely to experience cluster headaches than men.
- Sinus Headache – This is a headache that occurs due to sinus inflammation or infection.
- Rebound Headache – While medication is often used as a headache treatment, most types of prescription and over-the-counter pain medications can actually cause headaches when taken frequently. These are called rebound headaches or medication overuse headaches.
Treating Headaches at Their Source
Medications just cover over the symptoms of a headache by providing temporary relief from the pain. Even a rebound headache can usually be relieved by changing the particular type of pain medication that you use. However, this does not “cure” headaches and really only perpetuates the problem.
At Synergy Chiropractic, we are trained in the Atlas Orthogonal method for identifying and correcting upper cervical misalignments. These misalignments can cause headaches by restricting the flow of blood and cerebrospinal fluid. Once the misalignment is corrected, it may provide long-term relief from headaches without side effects. This is because correcting the misalignment fixes the underlying problem rather than merely covering over symptoms.
Dr. John Pairmore and Dr. Dennis Young of Pairmore and Young Synergy Chiropractic, in Anchorage, Alaska have 44 years of combined clinical experience. Their anchorage chiropractic clinic is the only office in Alaska that has the specialized Atlas Orthogonal Adjusting Instrument. Dr. Pairmore and Young also serve Fairbanks, Wasilla, and Eagle River along with the entire state of Alaska. They are uniquely trained to correct problems in the upper cervical spine (upper neck). This vital area is intimately connected to the central nervous system and problems in this area have been shown to be an underlying cause of a variety of different health problems, including migraines and other headaches, whiplash and other neck injuries, chronic back pain, sciatica and more. Learn more about Our Team.